1. Making the wall between a spare bedroom and the landing a folding screen to create a flexible space
Room Fold folding sliding doors in one panel Shaker design with white oak finish and obscure glazing. From £1,130 for a three-door configuration from Jeld-Wen
2. Raising all built-in kitchen furniture off the walls to make it appear to float and increase the sense of space
The Classic-FS/Topos-H kitchen by Leicht has a floor unit suspended from the wall and a long island unit on gliders, making the furniture in this kitchen seem to float giving the room an open and spacious appearance. The oak front of the Topos-H in brushed copper oak combined with plain-coloured Classic FS in Sahara. From £15,000 for the kitchen units.
Second Nature’s hi-gloss Avant Alabaster features an L-shape layout with a shallower base in the wall-hung corner units to enhance the sense of space. From £11,000 for the kitchen units.
3. Making bathroom walls translucent, from acrylic or polycarbonate
This design by Architect Your Home features an open-plan master bedroom and bathroom within a loft conversion. Glazed wall panels have been used to create a shower cubicle, while a WC and sink have been placed next to it accessed directly from the bedroom.
4. Enjoying low-cost raw materials such as exposed blockwork, and Oriented Strand Board (OSB), and using them as a feature
Using construction materials as a design feature instead of covering them up is a great way to modernise a house design
5. Running services in galvanized conduits rather than building them in
Why spend more money on boxing in pipes and utilities? Choose high-quality materials to create a contemporary feature in your kitchen
6. Using copper utility taps for kitchens, complete with exposed copper pipes
Look for salvaged copper taps or utility taps that can often cost a fraction of designer styles – they look great in a kitchen or bathroom
To create a modern utility-style look with new designer taps, you can also invest in the latest styles, such as the Medoc one-hole high-profile kitchen tap in shiny copper with lever handle, £1,118, Waterworks.
7. Adding concrete worktops and touches of the material throughout a kitchen scheme
Great for casting a unique, made-to-measure design unique to your space requirements, concrete can be cast to suit your space requirements. This worktop by Concreations is a Dove mix and costs from £12,000 for the design and installation