Copy supplied by The Plastic People
If you would like to makeover your kitchen (or bathroom) but don’t have the big kitchen (or bathroom) budget, this guide might be of interest to you. It is for those who want a quick, easy and inexpensive transformation and will show you how to transform your kitchen (or bathroom) using coloured acrylic splashbacks. Some planning and measuring is needed but we think you’ll agree a coloured acrylic makeover is fairly easy and gives a premium look at a fraction of the high end price (prices start around £85 to cover a square metre).
There are so many vibrant colours, neutral shades and tones to choose from that acrylic splashbacks can quickly and easily transform your kitchen or bathroom. Whether your kitchen is sunny or dark, you can use coloured acrylic to transform it. Gleaming white acrylic can bounce light around, glossy grey acrylic can complement existing shades and shiny red acrylic can add a pop of life. Coloured acrylic can pack in personality while matching with existing units, work tops and flooring colour schemes. If your existing scheme is neutral you can definitely use more lively coloured acrylic on your walls. And, the more limited your wall space, the bolder you might want to be with your choice of coloured acrylic.
For the biggest transformation choose a colour which is very different to what you have had before. If you aren’t sure, you could always start with one wall which could serve as a focal wall. And to further smarten your new look, replace some of your kitchen accessories in a matching colour. Coloured acrylic splashbacks are so inexpensive you’ll probably have some funds left to do that!
Fitting Acrylic Splashbacks
Light to hold, shatter-proof and easy to screw into your wall, acrylic splashbacks can be easily installed yourself at home providing a speedy new look to your room. Because acrylic is such a flexible and versatile material it can also be bent and shaped meaning you can use it to hide unsightly pipes or flow your splashbacks around corners or odd juts in your walls.
- DIY novices can install acrylic splashbacks by simply screwing them to the wall. Acrylic splashbacks can be bought with holes drilled and screws supplied – so they are simply ready to hang
- Adhesive can also be used to fix splashbacks to walls. If this fixing option is chosen it is deal to have the wall area prepared white and Serious Stuff adhesive used – it should be spread thinly and evenly across the entire splashback before fixing into place. Note that Serious Stuff dries white, not clear so it should only be used on solid coloured acrylic and not translucent acrylics.
- Acrylic splashbacks can be used behind cookers. The distance between the outer edge of a ceramic hob and the wall must be at least 60mm. The distance for gas hobs must be at least 200mm.
Here’s how to Care For Your Acrylic Splashback:
Maintaining your acrylic splashback is relatively simple. Acrylic splashbacks don’t require cleaners and because cleaners (and scrubbers) produce small scratches on the surface of the acrylic (or even eat through the acrylic) they should be avoided. Here’s how to clean:
- If your acrylic splashback is a little dusty, then just use a soft cotton cloth moistened with water and gently wipe it away. Turn the cloth often to keep a clean side on the acrylic splashback. It’s important to not rub the dirt on the surface of the acrylic because it can scratch it.
- For more significant amounts of dirt, use a soft cotton cloth that is very wet with water. Let the water lift the dirt by gently swabbing the cloth on your acrylic splashback until the dirt rinses off. Then use a second soft cotton cloth to clean your acrylic splashback like above.
- If your acrylic splashback is really dirty you could add some mild, non-abrasive detergent to the water or use an acrylic cleaner and follow step 2.
Choosing Coloured Acrylic For Your High Gloss Kitchen Makeover
Here’s what to do:
- measure the area of wall you’d like to cover with a splashback.
- work out how many socket holes or cut outs you need, if any, and where they need to be.
- visit The Plastic People and enter your measurements to get a price – if you need a special shape you can attach a drawing for your splashback with your order too and they will quote for your requirements.